SAN FRANCISCO, December 19, 2018 – Earlier this year, CBRE relocated its San Francisco operations to a new 38,348-sq.-ft. office at Salesforce Tower, the Bay Area’s tallest office tower and newest downtown landmark. Located on the 46th and 45th floors, CBRE’s new office is a departure from its previous workplace, embracing the company’s leading-edge approach to workplace strategy designed to promote greater flexibility, mobility and productivity through technology-enabled, 100 percent free-address and paperless offices.
“Technology touches everything we do in the Bay Area, and we’re applying the tech industry’s focus on collaboration and mobility to the way we work. Commercial real estate remains a traditional professional services industry in many ways, but our new office represents CBRE’s commitment to creating better, smarter workplaces for both our clients and ourselves,” said Darin Bosch, senior managing director of CBRE’s San Francisco office.
The San Francisco Downtown office is CBRE’s 37th office in the U.S. to apply its Workplace360 strategy, and the 72nd office globally.
“Our workplace strategy was specifically designed to transform how our people work and connect to one another, while simultaneously optimizing our use of physical space,” said Georgia Collins, executive managing director and global lead of CBRE 360. “For many of our professionals, it represents a significant change in how and where they work. There is no question that there is a trade-off here – we ask our people to give something up but aim to give them something more valuable in return.”
It is a bet that is paying off for the organization. In post occupancy studies, 93 percent of respondents say they would not go back to the old way of working and 95 percent said they feel that the change reflects a significant reinvestment by CBRE in its people.
Key features of CBRE’s new office at Salesforce Tower include:
- Flexibility and mobility: The new space has no assigned desks, even for leadership, and a large percentage of the overall footprint is dedicated to collaborative workspaces and meeting rooms. Employees can choose where they want to work throughout the day—whether at a desk, in a private huddle room or in the social café area.
- Enhanced technology: Supporting a mobile way of working is a core element of the Workplace360 model, which includes “plug and play” sit-stand workstations equipped with ultrawide monitors and “follow me” phones that allow employees to receive phone calls to their direct line from any location via extension mobility.
- More choice: Eight different types of space offer employees options in how and where they work throughout the day, including offices-for-a-day, focus rooms, workstations, huddle rooms, interactive conference rooms, open team areas, touchdown space, and “the Heart,” a central collaboration hub including a media wall and a café.
- Expanded employee and hospitality services: In recognition of changing workstyles and CBRE’s desire to host regular employee and client gatherings and events, the organization has deployed its CBRE 360 service offering. CBRE’s own in-house employee experience team proactively works to ensure the office runs smoothly and a mobile app enables employees to book meeting space in advance, share their location in the office and find available space on an as-needed basis.
- Transit proximity: Located at 415 Mission Street, the building is adjacent to the new Salesforce Transit Center, steps away from BART and Muni and three blocks away from San Francisco’s major freeways.
CBRE, who is also leasing the building on behalf of Boston Properties and Hines, is in good company. Along with the building’s namesake tenant, fellow tenants include several other technology and professional services firms. CBRE has represented nine out of the 11 tenants who have signed leases there.
CBRE’s Workplace practice led the implementation of the new space. The company’s Project Management practice oversaw the construction process, and Bohlin Cywinski of BCJ led the design team. An employee steering committee also provided guidance on the design of the office, which features locally sourced furniture, fixtures and artwork.
About CBRE Group, Inc.
CBRE Group, Inc. (NYSE:CBRE), a Fortune 500 and S&P 500 company headquartered in Los Angeles, is the world’s largest commercial real estate services and investment firm (based on 2017 revenue). The company has more than 80,000 employees (excluding affiliates), and serves real estate investors and occupiers through approximately 450 offices (excluding affiliates) worldwide. CBRE offers a broad range of integrated services, including facilities, transaction and project management; property management; investment management; appraisal and valuation; property leasing; strategic consulting; property sales; mortgage services and development services. Please visit our website at www.cbre.com.