- Center Receives Prestigious Certification for Superior Energy, Material and Water Efficiency
- One of the Most Sustainable Retail Centers in the U.S.
SAN RAMON, Calif. (March 5, 2020) – City Center Bishop Ranch, the 300,000-square-foot shopping, dining and entertainment destination in the East Bay, today announced that it is the largest retail center in the United States to earn LEED® Platinum certification. LEED was developed by the U.S. Green Building Council and is the most widely used green building rating system in the world.
Platinum is the highest level of certification within LEED and is awarded only to properties that demonstrate excellence in areas including superior energy, and water efficiency, site and materials management, as well as indoor environmental quality. Through green design, construction and operations practices that improve environmental and human health, LEED-certified buildings are helping to make the world more sustainable.
“Earning the LEED Platinum certification demonstrates our commitment to providing our guests with efficient, productive and healthy places to shop and dine, and we are proud to be the first outdoor lifestyle center to achieve this certification,” said Alexander Mehran, Jr., chief executive officer and president, Sunset Development Company, owner and developer of City Center Bishop Ranch. “This recognition is a testament to our deep commitment to integrate sustainability into our daily operations with the well-being of visitors and tenants in mind.”
City Center Bishop Ranch’s key successes and results of its sustainability activities to achieve LEED Platinum certification include:
- Promoting water efficiency and biodiversity by planting drought-tolerant and native plants throughout the center’s landscaping
- Using reclaimed water instead of potable water for all landscaping
- Installing water-efficient fixtures that allow the center to use 36 percent less water indoors than typical buildings of the same size
- Reducing energy use by 48 percent compared to typical outdoor lifestyle/retail buildings of the same size, equal to 1,112 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions a year, or the same as using 126,274 fewer gallons of gasoline
- Over 25 percent of the building’s energy will come from the solar PV array
- Diverting 98 percent of the center’s construction and demolition waste from landfills through recycling or salvaging
- A high amount of regionally sourced and recycled materials used in construction, which included mostly concrete and steel
- Choosing zero or low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) finish materials to create healthier spaces for employees and visitors
“City Center Bishop Ranch’s LEED Platinum certification is a reflection of its commitment to sustainability and shows how buildings can contribute to a greener retail experience,” said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO, U.S. Green Building Council. “LEED was created to make the world a better place and revolutionize our buildings and communities by providing access to healthy, green and high-performing spaces. City Center Bishop Ranch is a prime example of how the innovative technologies and practices found at this outdoor lifestyle center play a role in improving our quality of life, as well as the planet.”
City Center Bishop Ranch was designed by the acclaimed Renzo Piano Building Workshop in collaboration with BAR Architects. Headquartered in Paris, France, Renzo Piano is an internationally renowned, Pritzker Prize-winning Italian architect. Among his many admired works are the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, The Shard in London, Europe’s tallest skyscraper, and the Whitney Museum in New York City.
About City Center Bishop Ranch
City Center Bishop Ranch is a reinvention of the suburban shopping center model in which community, culture and commerce converge. Located in the heart of Bishop Ranch, City Center Bishop Ranch features 300,000 square feet of visionary downtown retail, dining and entertainment experiences, and is anchored by THE LOT, a 10-screen luxury cinema, and Equinox San Ramon, a luxury whole-body personal fitness, training and yoga center.
City Center Bishop Ranch is owned and operated by Sunset Development Company.