Center’s luminous architecture is the latest masterwork by internationally acclaimed Renzo Piano Building Workshop
The Slanted Door, Delarosa and other eateries will establish City Center as a dining mecca
Additional shops and restaurants to open in the coming year
San Ramon, Calif. (November 8, 2018) – Sunset Development Company today offered the public its first enticing glimpse into City Center Bishop Ranch, an exciting new regional destination for shopping, dining, entertainment, community events and cultural celebrations in the East Bay.
Designed by internationally renowned architectural firm Renzo Piano Building Workshop, in collaboration with BAR Architects, the visually dazzling 300,000-square-foot center in San Ramon will ultimately offer an eclectic, inspired blend of 70 stores and restaurants.
City Center’s tenant lineup currently includes stores and restaurants, from nationally known brands such as Anthropologie and Athleta, to specialty stores such as M by Maggie Rizer – a high fashion boutique owned by the supermodel and activist that showcases a variety of women’s apparel and gifts.
City Center dining anchored by The Slanted Door
In a free-standing structure with four sides of glass, City Center will feature the second location of The Slanted Door, the wildly popular Vietnamese-inspired eatery owned and operated by celebrated San Francisco restaurateur Charles Phan. Phan was inspired by City Center’s modern industrial design and worked with architect Olle Lundberg to create a beautiful space on the west end of the open-air square.
The center’s two largest tenants are THE LOT, a lifestyle entertainment experience 10-screen premium cinema and dining destination, and Equinox San Ramon, a luxury whole-body personal fitness, training and yoga center.
“We are thrilled to welcome East Bay residents and visitors to the first phase of City Center Bishop Ranch,” said Alex Mehran, Jr., president and chief operating officer of Sunset Development Company. “The center has been a dream of ours for many years, and we’re proud to welcome everyone to what we believe will become the new heart of San Ramon, and one of America’s most beautiful and innovative lifestyle-destination centers.”
Stay tuned – more, much more on the way
With its open-air square reminiscent of an Italian piazza, plus dedicated outdoor areas for art exhibits, socializing, special events and performances, City Center was designed to become a landmark gathering spot for the East Bay.
Mehran added, “Stay tuned, because today’s openings are just the first wave in a steady succession of store and restaurant openings planned over the next year. There will be many more reasons for visitors to make City Center a regular part of their itineraries.”
San Ramon Mayor Bill Clarkson lauded the opening of the first phase of City Center Bishop Ranch, saying it accomplishes a major goal of the city. “For many years our residents have expressed a strong desire for a downtown that is both beautiful and functional, a place where they can come together to socialize, enjoy cultural events, shop, dine and simply have fun,” he said. “By virtue of its well thought-out design, accessible location and welcoming ambience, City Center fulfills that desire in every conceivable way.”
Guests visiting the center today have the opportunity to meet the first merchants to open their doors at City Center. They are:
- Alys Grace, which offers the most sought after worldwide, contemporary women’s designers such as Veronica Beard, Ulla Johnson, Mother Denim, Citizens of Humanity, and Vince, in five friendly neighborhood boutiques that are specifically curated to meet the needs of the modern day Bay Area woman
- Boba Guys, serving next-level quality drinks made without artificial ingredients or powders, with the mission of bridging cultures and changing the way people see boba and tea
- Candle Delirium, which carries the largest selection of luxury home fragrances in the world, including candles, room sprays, diffusers and more
- Fieldwork Brewing Company, a taproom and beer garden serving fresh, locally brewed craft beer
- M by Maggie Rizer, a high fashion boutique by supermodel Maggie Rizer
- NEEKO, a modern neighborhood clothing boutique for women with a West Coast-inspired aesthetic for everyday wear
- On the EDGE, a unique boutique at the leading edge of fashionable shoes and accessories
- Pottery Barn, a premier specialty retailer offering a wide range of stylish, expertly crafted collections of indoor and outdoor furniture, accessories, décor and more, for every room in your home
- Starbucks, the premier roaster and retailer of specialty coffee
- Trader, a local store offering goods and gear for the worldly adventurer
- the piece. store, which offers a carefully and uniquely curated selection of women’s clothing and accessories, including offerings of shoes, belts, handbags, and casual and fine jewelry
- West Elm, a home furnishings destination offering approachable, modern designs, including Fair Trade Certified, handcrafted, and locally made pieces
- Williams Sonoma, the nationally renowned retailer of cookware, cooking utensils, food products, kitchen décor and home furnishings
A gleaming façade floating on glass
City Center’s architectural design makes it unique among lifestyle-destination centers in the United States and perhaps the world. Architect Renzo Piano sheathed the center’s exterior with a shimmering stainless steel façade, which appears to float on transparent glass. The result is a visually compelling façade that, coupled with the center’s lush landscaping, broad walkways and other exterior features, creates an open, airy and inviting atmosphere.
“The beautiful rolling hills of San Ramon served as the perfect backdrop for City Center’s design and overall feel – and the region’s residents served as the inspiration for its heart,” said Renzo Piano, the Pritzker Prize-winning Italian architect whose internationally known projects include the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, the new Whitney Museum in New York City, and The Shard in London, Europe’s tallest skyscraper.
“Working in close partnership with Sunset Development Company, I believe we achieved our goal of creating a special place, a place that blends and nurtures community, commerce and culture,” Piano states.
In addition to the merchants open today, the following stores and restaurants will welcome visitors in the coming months:
• Anthropologie, a popular lifestyle store owned by Urban Outfitters, Inc., featuring a signature mix of apparel, accessories, beauty and home décor
• Athleta, the performance apparel brand designed exclusively for women and girls, owned by Gap Inc.
• Equinox San Ramon, a luxury whole-body personal fitness, training and yoga center
• Heller Jewelers, a local, family-owned Official Rolex Jeweler with a strong focus on exemplary customer service
• KIN THE LABEL, an independent, San Francisco-based shop selling handmade, highest-quality women, men and children’s hats ranging in style from classic to casual
• Monokrome, the first black and white concept boutique in the U.S. curated from small business Instagram and Etsy shops- with offerings for the entire modern family
• C CASA, a Napa-based taqueria serving eco-friendly and innovative gourmet Mexican fare including unique tacos, salads and rotisserie meats
• Curry Up Now, a popular Bay Area-based fast casual restaurant known for its innovative approach to traditional Indian street-food
• Delarosa, offering a modern take on the classic Roman-Italian Pizzeria using simple ingredients to create uncomplicated, approachable dishes paired with craft cocktails
• Gio Gelati, which offers authentic Italian gelato in unique combinations and flavors, made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients
• Joe & The Juice, the Scandinavian coffee and juice concept that uses high-quality, natural and organic ingredients in its freshly prepared juices
• Mendocino Farms, one of the most popular sandwich and salad restaurants in California, featuring a seasonally rotating menu with thoughtfully crafted recipes made with premium, whole food ingredients
• MIXT, a casual destination for delicious seasonal salads, grain bowls, and plates, all made from scratch from the finest locally-sourced ingredients
• Ramen Hiroshi, a Japanese restaurant dishing up classic ramen bowls
• Roam, a San Francisco-based, fine-casual restaurant that serves burgers, sides and seasonal offerings that are sourced locally and made with high quality ingredients
• SOCIAL-AFFAIR, which will offer artisanal food, wine and chai in a casual and hip lounge
• THE LOT, a lifestyle entertainment experience 10-screen premium cinema, restaurant, bar and café destination
• The Slanted Door, the nationally acclaimed Vietnamese cuisine-inspired restaurant owned and operated by Charles Phan
About City Center Bishop Ranch
City Center Bishop Ranch is a reinvention of the suburban shopping center model in which community, culture and commerce converge. Located in the heart of Bishop Ranch, City Center Bishop Ranch features 300,000 square feet of visionary downtown retail, dining and entertainment experiences, and will be anchored by THE LOT, a 10-screen luxury cinema, and Equinox San Ramon, a luxury whole-body personal fitness, training and yoga center. City Center Bishop Ranch is owned and operated by Sunset Development Company. For more information, visit www.citycenterbishopranch.com.