- This event has passed.
SPUR: Ideas + Action 2020: Public Space
October 5, 2020 @ 12:00 am PDT
Beginning October 5, 2020 | Virtual
The pandemic crisis, combined with the recent movements for racial justice, have challenged our accepted notions of how public space is designed and used — and for whom. These issues have brought to the forefront the critical understanding that public spaces such as parks, sidewalks and trails are not just amenities; they are intrinsically essential to our personal, social and civic wellbeing. This October, SPUR is hosting ‘Ideas + Action 2020: Public Space’, a weeklong series of conversations with experts from around North America about the past, present and future of public space in our cities.
- Opening keynote by Mitchell J. Silver, New York City Parks Commissioner
- How We Use Urban Public Space
- How to Create Truly Inclusive Community Engagement
- Expanding the Definition of Public Space
- How to Create Sustainable Funding Models for Public Space
- Who Are Streets Designed For?
- Viewing Public Space Through an Equity Lens
- How to Provide Equitable, 10-Minute Park Access to Everyone
- What Does Public Space Look Like in a Post-Pandemic World?
- and more…