On July 27, 2015, the City Manager issued a letter approving proposed modifications to the Menlo Gateway project. These modifications include:
- an increase in the number of hotel rooms from 230 to 250
- an increase in the size of the hotel from 173,000 to 197,000 square feet
- incorporation of the health and fitness facility into a parking structure on the Independence Drive site
- a decrease in the size of the health and fitness facility from 69,000 to 41,000 square feet
- a net decrease of approximately 4,400 square feet for the total project
The City Council previously reviewed the project modifications at its March 10 and March 24, 2015, meetings, and the Planning Commission gave a recommendation supporting the changes May 4, 2015. The City has received an application for demolition of the remaining buildings on the site, which staff is currently reviewing. Demolition work is anticipated to begin in September 2015, with construction of buildings on the Independence Drive site planned for early 2016.