California Drywall is honored to announce that their Levi’s® Stadium project received the Association of the Wall and Ceiling Industry’s (AWCI) 2015 Excellence in Construction Quality Award.
The AWCI Excellence in Construction Quality Award is a national award that recognizes a wall and ceiling contractor for excellence in construction quality in the face of complicated and challenging projects. Nominated projects are judged on the basis of the project’s degree of difficulty and/or unique or creative use of materials incorporated into the project; the project’s construction duration in relation to its square footage and project type; and overall construction quality.
This is the third time in four years that California Drywall has received the AWCI Excellence in Construction Quality Award. In 2014, the company won for the Bing Concert Hall project at Stanford University, and in 2012 it won for the Nokia R&D Center for Excellence project in Sunnyvale.
“There were some remarkable submissions,” said Steve Eckstrom, president of California Drywall. “We are extremely honored that our work has been recognized by the judges at AWCI.”
The 1.85 million square foot, $1.2 billion venue seats approximately 68,500, and is expandable to 75,000. It is a spectacular facility with technological and luxury amenities that make it the essence of what an entertainment venue should be.
California Drywall was contracted to construct all of the metal stud framing, drywall installation and finishing for the interior of the Stadium. The total contract value for this work was in excess of $30 million. Among the unique items California Drywall built were:
- An 18,500 square foot metal stud and drywall ceiling consisting of 34 individual “floating” panels with a level 5 finish and knife edge in the BNY Mellon Club East. Each panel was set at a unique angle so the whole ceiling looked like a piece of origami.
- A wave-shaped wall (framed with curved metal studs, sheathed with sheet metal and finished with taping compound) in the 49ers Museum.
- A 20 foot dropped knife-edge soffit with level 5 finish in the Levi’s® 501® Club.
- Wide expanses of sloped gyp ceilings and columns with vertical reveals and beveled corners.
- Seventy, 15′-4″ x 3′-4″ floating knife edge gypsum panels 106 feet above the first floor.
- 170 luxury suites included intricate and precise framing, hanging and taping required for the multi-angled aluminum insets to guide the doors at the folding glass wall system.
- Luxurious Club and lounge spaces that rival the finest luxury hotel.
Levi’s® Stadium was a success story of collaboration. The California Drywall team worked with Turner/Devcon, the owner, designers, consultants and other trade partners to overcome construction challenges and meet the quality and precision needed to build a world-class facility on an extremely aggressive schedule.
About California Drywall
Founded in 1946, on the principles of quality, service and value, California Drywall (www.caldrywall.com) is a design-assist specialty contractor focused on delivering great results for its customers and their projects. Consistently ranked as one of the top Wall and Ceiling contractors in the country by Engineering News Record, California Drywall’s services include Metal Framing, Drywall, Acoustic and Specialty Ceilings, Lath & Plaster, Painting, and Fireproofing.